Shabby Blog Background

Friday, September 3, 2010

Adventures in Cooking

Leave it to a pregnant woman to take a very healthy vegetable and turn it into a no-so-healthy but oh-so-tasty casserole.  Everyone with a southern grandmother has probably enjoyed squash casserole sometime in their life.  I wanted to share my recipe with you because I just made it the other day.  It was just what my taste buds needed so it would be wrong for me to keep it from you.  My pictures are not "Pioneer Woman" quality, but I figured they might add a bit to the post.  Lots of these ingredients are approximates because you can really alter it how you see fit :).  Hope you enjoy!  Happy Cooking!!

Squash Casserole
Ingredients: Approx 2 lbs of yellow squash, sliced and quartered;
1 sm. to med. white or yellow onion, diced;
6-8 oz of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt - adds protein & takes away some fat);
1 1/2 C of grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar & I always put a bit more in because I'm what you might call a cheese-a-holic);
2-3 T of butter;
2 eggs, beaten
2 to 2 1/2  C of Pepperidge Herb Seasoning Dry Stuffing;
Salt and Pepper to taste
*One tasty addition that you can add is a packet of dry Ranch dressing mix - I use Hidden Valley - but feel free to try it Ranch-free as well*

Directions: Mix the squash and onions in a microwavable dish (I usually add some salt and pepper too), cover, and microwave for 8 min.  You will not need to add any water because the squash will produce all you will need.  While the squash/onion is cooking I grate my cheese and gather my other ingredients.  Once that is done cooking, remove the top, and use your stirring spoon (or I prefer an ice cream scoop) to mash up the squash/onion mixture just a bit.  Stir in your butter until melted and add the beaten eggs.  Then stir in your cheese and sour cream (and Ranch if you are adding it).  Then add your stuffing (it should be enough to absorb the moisture in the squash).  Salt and pepper to taste.  Grease a 9x13 dish or any fun shaped casserole dish that you choose and pour in your creation.  You'll want to cook it on 350 for about 35 minutes then enjoy your "squash made wonderfully tasty!"

Squash and Onions before the microwave.  Don't forget to cover them!


All of your other ingredients with a great big bowl for mixing!  And now you understand what I mean when I say a Cheese-a-holic.  It is one of God's tastiest creations!


The finished product!

Have a wonderful and restful Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment